Today we're investigating the best ways to stop your car windows from fogging up and reducing your ability to see the road. We've seen many infomercials and stands at Canadian tire offering steam and fog solutions. As your local auto glass service, we felt it necessary to let you know about a few auto glass hacks for keeping your windshield and windows clear.
This video shows a test
1. Potato (Cut it in two and rub the inside of the raw potato directly onto your vehicles windows.)
2. Shaving Cream (Buff it on and wipe it clear leaving a thin film.)
3. Hand Sanitizer (Apply with paper fowl until you see know streaks.)
4. Baby Shampoo (Apply with cloth)
5. Rain-X Anti Fog (Store bought. Likely something you can find at Canadian Tire.
The two mose effective fog prevention methods were the store bought Rain-X and home solution: Shaving Scream!
Why do my cars windows get foggy in the first place?
The scientific reason for the condensation that forms on your windshield is due to a temperature change. Ever seen a movie where the windows steam up to imply romance? Well, the cold temperature outside and the warmth from body heat inside the vehicle have created a difference in temperature great enough to steam up the windows. This is why your windows will gather some condensation in the winter time. On the rather hand, the cool air is inside your vehicle in the summer. When we hit a high enough outdoor temperature this change will work in the opposite way. Cold air inside and warm air outside. Neat right? Not if your driving dow the Lincoln M. Alexander Pkwy in Hamilton, ON and you lose visibility! Also if visibility is an issue, you may want to consider booking an appointment for windshield tinting service here.